Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Shorshe Baingan (eggplant in freshly prepared mustard)

First of though it is a Bengali dish, I had never tasted it while in India. This is my wife Sonali's creation since she knows I love Eggplants - cooked in any possible way. So today I found some home made Kasundi (prepared mustard) in the fridge and decided to replicate what my better half has been feeding me. Once again the ingredients are listed in the order they go in to the pan and pictures will give a good enough idea of the quantity and proportion.
Mustard Oil, Kalaunji (wild onion seeds), Whole dry red peppers, Eggplant, Fresh ground mustard seeds, Salt. The coriander leaf on top is optional and I just might get some flack from the Purists :)




Again, like most Bengali dishes, this too best enjoyed with steamed rice.

No comments: